Recipe by Bobtail
My mother makes these pickles and now so do I. My former sister in law thinks they are the worst pickles she has ever had, so I tease her about it. My DH and I like them and I keep them on hand all the time. They do have a diffrent taste. To each his own. Sounds crazy to make sweet pickles out of dill pickles.
- 1 gallon dill pickle, sliced chips (not Kosher dill)
- 5 lbs sugar
- 1 cup tarragon vinegar
- 2 tablespoons pickling spices (pick out the red pepper)
- 2 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain dill chips and place into a bowl.
- Save the jar.
- Layer dill chips and sugar in jar till jar is full, using all the sugar.
- You will have some dill chips left.
- Toss these or keep for other uses.
- Boil the vinegar and pickling spices in the 2 cups of water.
- Strain spices from liquid.
- Pour liquid over the pickles and sugar.
- Make sure the lid in on tight.
- I keep my pickles on the kitchen cabinet and turn upside down ever hour or so, to distribute the liquid, just make sure the lid is not leaking.
- Refrigerate if you want to.
- I transfer some pickles to a small container and keep in the refrigerator and keep the rest of the jar in the pantry.
- The original recipe called for a gallon of whole dill pickles and required you to slice them yourself.
- This will yield a more"homemade" looking pickle.
- Buying the dill chips is a shortcut, saving alot of time.