Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My mother makes these pickles and now so do I. My former sister in law thinks they are the worst pickles she has ever had, so I tease her about it. My DH and I like them and I keep them on hand all the time. They do have a diffrent taste. To each his own. Sounds crazy to make sweet pickles out of dill pickles.
- Drain dill chips and place into a bowl.
- Save the jar.
- Layer dill chips and sugar in jar till jar is full, using all the sugar.
- You will have some dill chips left.
- Toss these or keep for other uses.
- Boil the vinegar and pickling spices in the 2 cups of water.
- Strain spices from liquid.
- Pour liquid over the pickles and sugar.
- Make sure the lid in on tight.
- I keep my pickles on the kitchen cabinet and turn upside down ever hour or so, to distribute the liquid, just make sure the lid is not leaking.
- Refrigerate if you want to.
- I transfer some pickles to a small container and keep in the refrigerator and keep the rest of the jar in the pantry.
- The original recipe called for a gallon of whole dill pickles and required you to slice them yourself.
- This will yield a more"homemade" looking pickle.
- Buying the dill chips is a shortcut, saving alot of time.