1/1 Photo of Workday Borscht (Vegetarian/ Crock Pot)
9 hrs 20 mins
From the Whole Foods website. We really like this recipe. The original recipe says to serve with hard boiled eggs and warm "take-n-bake" bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 bunches red beets
- 3/4 lb russet potato, peeled and cut in half
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and cut into quarters
- 32 ounces vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 cups finely shredded green cabbage (about 1/4 small head)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill, plus
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, to taste
- 1 -2 tablespoon lemon juice, to taste
- sour cream, to taste
- lemon wedge
- salt, to taste
- 1Remove tops from beets and set aside for another use. Peel beets and cut in half if larger than 2 inches in diameter.
- 2Place beets, potato, onion, broth, and tomato paste in slow cooker and cook on high heat for 4 hours or low heat for 8 hours.
- 3Process soup in batches in a blender until smooth and return to slow cooker. Take great care when blending hot liquids. Do not fill blender canister more than half full, and make sure that the top is securely attached.
- 4Before you are ready to serve, bury the cabbage in the puree. Cook on high, covered, for 45 minutes. Add 1/4 cup dill, vinegar and lemon juice and season to taste with salt.
- 5In a separate bowl, mix remainder of dill with sour cream. Serve with a dollop of the sour cream in each bowl of soup and with lemon wedges.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Workday Borscht (Vegetarian/ Crock Pot)
Serving Size: 1 (414 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 98.9
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 48.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 3.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: