Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
From one of the recipes on Guy's Big Bite. Great to serve with burgers, steak or meatloaf!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, diced
- 8 roma tomatoes, skinned, seeded, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh dill, chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch allspice
- 1 pinch celery salt
- 1 pinch mustard seeds
- In a medium saute pan over medium heat, add oil and onions. Cook until brown and caramelized.
- Add the tomatoes and garlic, and cook for a few minutes, just to soften the vegetables.
- Add the remaining ingredients, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- You can either serve the ketchup chunky or puree it in a blender first and serve it smooth.
Both DH and I DESPISE ketchup, but I needed it for a dipping sauce for chicken tenders. Once I pureed it, I gave the DH a taste and he asked if he could drink it (I love it too!), so I'm guessing that means it's pretty good. Thanks bunches, I will keep this on hand for the "ketchup folks" who come over and want to slather their food in the nasty red stuff. Maybe we can turn them around!
I wanted to try out a new topping for meatloaf and this was a nice change. I didnt have any mustard seed but this had the usual sweet/tart taste of a ketchup/brownsugar/worcestershire sauce that i usually use, but all the extra ingredients gave it a new twist. thanks for the recipe Linda