Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A pretty good worcestershire sauce-I've made it twice and like it.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 (1 1/4 inch) slice gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons peppercorns
- 1 (2 inch) piece cinnamon sticks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole coriander seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mace
- 2 cups vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup unsulphured molasses
- 1⁄2 cup dark soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup liquid honey
- Put onion, garlic, ginger, mustard seed, peppercorns, cinnamon stick, pepper, cloves, cardamom seeds, coriander and mace in a spice bag.
- In a medium stainless or enamel saucepan, bring vinegar, molasses, soy sauce, lemon and,lime juices to a boil, simmer 5 min.
- Add spice bag and simmer, covered for 1 1/2 hours.
- Mix together curry powder and water.
- Add to mixture.
- Simmer for 5 min more.
- In a small saucepan over low heat bring honey to a boil-takes a bit.
- Boil for 4 min to darken color.
- Add honey to mixture and cook over low for 3 minutes stirring constantly.
- Let cool in fridge for 2 hours covered.
- Press spice bag 4 times during this cooling off time.
- Remove bag-strain sauce and pour into clear sterile bottles-cap or cork and store in fridge for up to 6 months.
- Shake well before using.