We love this recipe at my house...but I've never had the original "Woolworths" Frito Pie, so I can't compare the two. It's really good though. :-)
- 2 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄3 cup tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup canned pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 5 cups Frito corn chips
- 1⁄2 lb cheddar cheese (or Monterey Jack cheese)
- onion, chopped
- jalapeno, diced
- Cook bacon in large skillet until fat is rendered.
- Add onion and garlic and cook until onion is softened.
- Add ground chuck and cook over medium high heat, stirring and breaking up lumps until browned, 3-4 minutes.
- Pour off excess fat and add salt, chili powder, cumin and tomato paste.
- Slowly add water and simmer 10 minutes, adding more water if necessary.
- Add beans until heated through.
- Divide corn chips among individual wide shallow bowls, top with chili. Sprinkle with cheese on top. Garnish with onion and jalepeno if desired.
For some reason, I was craving Frito pie and this fit the bill perfectly. Good chili flavor that isn't too spicy. Quick and easy to make and serve for a casual fun meal.