Connie C.'s Note:
Frank Woolworth commissioned the construction of the Woolworth Building in New York City. This building was entirely paid for in cash. It was completed in 1913 and was the tallest building in the world until 1930. It was known as a five and dime store. Lunch counters were introduced and were common to our modern day food courts. The business changed names and after several years, the majority of the stores was sold to Wal-Mart. There was a historic landmark case involving African-Americans at a segregated counter that evoked boycotts, sit ins and a part of the civil rights movement.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 ounces of baker's German sweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, separated (save the whites)
- 2 teaspoons butter (for greasing pans and parchment)
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
woolworths coconut pecan frosting
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 3 9-inch round cake pans
- 2(or 2 larger cake pans).
- 3Line bottom of pans with buttered parchment paper or foil.
- 4Melt chocolate in boiling water. Stir and cool.
- 5Cream butter and sugar. Add yolks, one at a time, beating well after each yolk.
- 6Blend in vanilla and chocolate.
- 7Mix flour with soda and salt. Add alternately with buttermilk to chocolate
- 8mixture, beating after each addition until smooth.
- 9Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gently fold beaten egg whites into
- 10the chocolate batter mixture.
- 11Divide batter between prepared pans.
- 12Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, but check on cakes earlier, especially if using
- 133 pans.Cool in pans for 5 minutes before turning out on racks to cool. Frost
- 14with Coconut Pecan Frosting (recipe below).
- 15Frosting directions:
- 16Combine milk, sugar, yolks, butter and vanilla in saucepan.
- 17Cook and stir over medium heat until it thickens, about 12 minutes.
- 18Stir in coconut and nuts. (An electric mixer works for this part.) Cool until
- 19it’s thick enough to spread, beating occasionally.
- 20Makes about 3 ~ cups, more than enough to fill and frost a 9-inch 3-layer cake.
- 21It will run off, so make sure it’s cool.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Woolworth’s German Sweet Chocolate Cake
Serving Size: 1 (2859 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 10278.3
- Calories from Fat 5444
- Total Fat 604.9 g
- Saturated Fat 314.8 g
- Cholesterol 2772.7 mg
- Sodium 6104.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1150.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 36.7 g
- Sugars 843.9 g
- Protein 128.5 g