Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
A great side for fall and winter holidays, great to fill the casvities of cooked acorn squash halves. From "Diabetes Cooking for Everyone", by Carol Gelles. Exchanges:1 bread, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups coarsely chopped mushrooms (use any combination of white, shiitake, portobello, oyster, etc.)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked wheat berries
- 1⁄4 cup peas (cooked fresh or frozen and thawed)
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced scallions
- 1 tablespoon marsala
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil on medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 2 minutes.