Prep 55 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a favorite of my husband. I have made this soup for years. This does take a bit of time to make the wontons, but well worth it.
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 2 ounces peeled shrimp, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chopped green onion
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 3 cups chicken stock
- In large bowl, mix the pork, shrimp, sugar, soy sauce and green onion.
- Blend well and leave to stand 25 to 30 minuntes.
- Place about 1 tsp on the center of each wonton wrapper.
- Moisten all four edges of wrapper with water and pull the top corner down to the bottom, folding over filling to make a triangle.
- Press edges firmly to make a seal.
- Bring left and right corners together above filling.
- Overlap and moisten with water and press together For Soup: Bring chicken stock to rolling boil.
- Drop wontons in and cook for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with scallions and serve.
- Cook 2 minutes longer if using from frozen state.
- To Fry: Heat 2 to 3 cups oil in a wok until hot.
- Deepfry wontons in batches until golden, 2 to 3 minutes each side.
- Drain and serve with dipping sauce (plum sauce).
This soup is worth the extra bit of effort it takes to shape the wontons. You could easily add more chicken stock to bump up the servings to 6 or more. I combined the pork and shrimp in the food processor to get them both finely chopped and mixed together well. Very tasty. I will make again.
We are lovers of wonton soup, but can't always go to the resaurant to eat so, I looked up this category on RecipeZaar and found this one. We had it for lunch today and wow...just like the Chinese cafe we go to. Love it Love it Love it!!!!! Good job.
This is a good recipe and the soup was enjoyed, but I had the feeling something was missing all along. It dawned on me when I was doing the dishes - ginger! I've never had this type of dish without ginger in it. It is probably a personal thing, but next time, I'll cut back the soy sauce and add some grated ginger. I think it will be perfect for me then. Wish I could give 4 1/2 stars. Thank you for sharing your recipe.