Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 mins
Quick version of the Chinese favorite
- 2 green onions
- 1⁄4 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 12 -18 wonton skins
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup spinach or 1⁄2 cup bok choy, leaves halved lengthwise,shredded
- 1⁄4 cup shredded carrot
- Reserve one green onion top for garnish; chop remaining green onions.
- Combine chopped onion, ground beef, celery, parsley, salt and pepper in a small bowl; mix lightly.
- Place approximately 1 1/2 tablespoonsful of ground beef mixture in center of each wonton square.
- Lightly dampen edges of square with water.
- Bring together corners; pinch to seal.
- Set aside.
- Bring broth to boil in large saucepan; reduce heat to medium.
- Add 1/2 of wontons; simmer 4 minutes.
- Remove cooked wontons with slotted spoon; keep warm.
- Repeat with remaining wontons.
- Cut reserved green onion top into thin diagonal slices.
- Add to hot broth with spinach and carrot.
- Place wonton in soup bowls.
- Top with broth mixture.
I was a bit disappointed with the flavor - seemed a bit bland but this was a quick and easy soup to make. I think part of my issue is I would have preferred pork in the wontons as well as a splash of sesame oil to add that unique chinese flavor. Just a note on the wonton skins - make sure you buy square ones - much easier to fill and seal. There are some slightly rectangular ones out there that are more of a challenge. Also I would increase the broth quantity as the wontons do absorb broth as they cook.
This was my first time making wonton soup...It was very good. I made the wontons ahead of time and froze them, then droped into the boiling broth and cooked about 8 mins. They were great. I really liked the mixture in the wontons and liked the addition of the spinach. I omitted the carrots, I think next time, I might use a different brand of broth, mine didn't have a lot of flavor, or drop in a little bullion.
I just made this and I thought I would like it but I did not. I think it was the fact that it had the beef flavor with the chicken I really didnt like it. I think it would be better with chicken.