Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
These zesty poppers were tweaked from a recipe found awhile ago on the web, but I can't remember the site. If you want, you can use mixed shredded cheeses or another cheese entirely if you don't like Monterey Jack.
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced finely
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced garlic
- 3 green onions, finely diced, including green tops
- black pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) package wonton wrappers
- 1 quart vegetable oil (for frying)
- In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, Monterey jack cheese, jalapeño peppers, garlic and green onions. Mix well and season with a little black pepper.
- Fill the wonton wrappers with approximately 1 Tbs. cream cheese mixture. Fold wrappers into triangles then press with moistened fingers or fork to seal.
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Carefully place 3-4 wontons at a time into the oil and quickly fry, turning once until golden brown. Remove to paper towels.
- Serve warm with your favorite salsa/sauce, ranch dressing, or whatever.
- A good appetizer with margaritas! Ole!
These were very good and easy to make thanks for posting.
this recipe was a good tasting once and slightly healthier alternative to alot of the heavily breaded poppers and such on the market. Next time i do them, though I am cutting the green onion down to 1/3 of what's called for. the onion totally overpowered the jalepeno. May even omit green onion and use a little onion powder instead. also, the nutritional info provided is very deceiving. the wonton wrappers and the frying oil are not taken into account. if you're on a strict diet, beware.