Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a revamp of an old recipe I had. I made some changes to make it a bit more diet friendly. It contains less fat and sugar then the original recipe. The best thing about it is it is loved by all including my picky eaters who do not like zucchini.
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup apple, sauce (Unsweetened)
- 1⁄2 brown sugar, NOT packed
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vinegar or 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 cups zucchini, grated
- 1⁄2 cup 60% cocoa chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Add the 1/2 tsp vinegar or lemon juice to the skim milk and set aside. You want the milk to curdle.
- Blend together the first 6 ingredients.
- Mix in the dry ingredients and then stir in the milk, batter will be somewhat thick.
- Fold in the shredded zucchini.
- Pour batter into a greased 9x13" cake pan.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over the top of the cake batter.
- Bake at 325 degrees 40-50 minutes or until cake tests done.
My family loved this cake. It's easy to make, healthy and they said tasted delicious. Served with a spoonful of vanilla yogurt and a dusting of chocolate powder. Photo also to be posted. Reviewed for the Recipe Swap in the Aus/NZ Forum Feb 2011.
Great recipe that truly does not kill the diet! So full of flavor with the cocoa, so very moist with using the applesauce and then using the chocolate chips takes this cake over the top!! It took the 50 minutes in my oven so you were spot on with baking time. I am honored I get to be the first to review this recipe in Newest Zaar Tag.