Recipe by flower7
This recipe was inspired by my Spicy Cocoa Sloppy Joes (#237942) and a comment left by my friend Cookgirl, that it would make an interesting chili with the addition of kidney beans. I did change a few things other than adding beans though :) I think it is better the next day, after melding in the fridge overnight. It is very thick, which is exactly how I like my chili :) I have to also add my thanks to my co-worker Nate for the great name!
Top Review by sloe cooker
Quite possible that this is the best chili that I have ever had. I took Cookgirls lead and finished this off in a crock pot on high for one hour then low for 2 hours. I can't wait to have this again tomorrow night. Thanks flower7 for sharing your wonderful recipe.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground beef (I used ground round)
- 3⁄4 cup chopped white onion
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 -6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pan, brown ground beef with onion and garlic. Drain any fat, if necessary.
- While beef is browning, measure out cocoa, spices, and sugar in a small bowl. Add spices to beef and stir for a few minutes to allow spices to release flavors.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste and vinegar and stir thoroughly.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring every few minutes so it doesn't stick.
- Add kidney beans and simmer 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through.
- Serve with shredded cheddar, if desired.