Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is delicious. It's an old recipe, which I made many times in the past, and now I am not sure how much puff/flaky pastry you'll need, so best get 2 rolls, (2 rolls = 800 g = just under 2 lbs), in case you need more. I have to stay within Zaar recipe rules!
- 1 lb puff pastry, defrosted
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup corn syrup (preferably, if in other countries, golden syrup like Lyle's)
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped roughly
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat oven to 400 deg F./200 deg Celsius. Those with convection (fan-heated) ovens might want to use slightly lower heat).
- Roll out cold pastry and cut out circles to fit patty pan hollows. You should get about 12 - 14 circles. Fit these snugly into patty pan hollows and trim outer edges with your fingers until even. Keep cold in fridge.
- In a double boiler or thick-bottomed pot stir together the brown sugar and next 6 ingredients.
- Heat and bring just to an almost-simmer over hot (not boiling) water, stirring to dissolve sugar. If necessary, take off heat and continue stirring to dissolve sugar. You don't want cooked eggs.
- Add the walnuts and vanilla.
- Pour or ladle this mixture into the (cold) prepared lined patty hollows, filling each.
- 2/3rds full.
- Bake in preheated oven, turning heat down to 350 deg F/180 deg C after 10 minutes Bake another 15 - 20 mins., approximately.
- Take out, let cool down a little, then ease out with a heat-resistant spatula or a knife, and gently lift from pans. Cool on wire racks.
- Can be served with small bunches of grapes or tiny mint leaves.
These are wonderful. I have made similar recipes in the past but these are really special. Made for ZWT4 Family Picks for the Tastebud Tickling Travellers.