Recipe by Ilysse
This is a great fall salad. So easy and I always get recipe requests. I think the original was from Alton Brown, but I changed a few things. This is great for Thanksgiving or other harvest party. It also travels well for a fall picnic or pot luck. The recipe calls for golden raisins but I like the black ones. I think the contrast is nicer too. Add some left over grilled chicken for a great meal. I always eat the leftover (if there is any) from Thanksgiving with left over turkey mixed in for lunch the next day. Cooking time is chill time.
- 2 ginger gold apples or 2 fuji apples
- 1 Red Delicious apple
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- salt and pepper
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts, crushed
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 small red onion, julienned
Directions See How It's Made
- Dice apples, leaving skin on.
- Toss the apples with the cider vinegar.
- Fold in the mayo and combine well.
- Season with salt and pepper (just a pinch of each. You can always add more later or let your guests add it to their own serving).
- Fold in nuts and raisins.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Very pretty served in lettuce cups or over a bed of leafy greens.