1/2 Photos of Wonderful Veggie Curry
1 hr 25 mins
White Rose Child's Note:
The key to this curry is to let the vegetables retain their bright color. The sweet potatoes soften to make the sauce thick and luscious. And the spices are delish. Adjust them to suit your taste buds :-) (This makes a huge amount; I usually half it.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 5 -6 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 -3 teaspoons fresh gingerroot, grated
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2-1 teaspoon salt (I use sea salt)
- 2 cups onions, chopped (can omit if you don't like) (optional)
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 cups sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups frozen green peas or 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1Soften the onion, if using in a little water in a small pot. Set aside.
- 2In a separate, large pot, begin steaming the sweet potatoes. After about 5-10 minutes add the carrots; in 5 more minutes add the cauliflower. Steam for 5 minutes more. (They don't need to be cooked yet, just basically warmed.).
- 3Meanwhile, heat the oil over medium in a small frying pan;add the mustard seeds and saute till they begin to pop. Add the remaining spices and cook on LOW heat for a minute or two, be very careful not to burn them. Remove from heat.
- 4Remove the steamer basket from the veggies, add the softened onion and stir in the spice mixture. Add water.
- 5Bring to a gentle simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- 6When sweet potatoes are tender but not totally cooked, add the tomatoes and peas/peppers (a combo works fine). Simmer for another 15 minutes.
- 7Serve over your favorite basmati rice, with the garnishes for a more Indian-style meal. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wonderful Veggie Curry
Serving Size: 1 (247 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 156.1
- Calories from Fat 51
- Total Fat 5.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 248.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 4.9 g