Recipe by White Rose Child
The key to this curry is to let the vegetables retain their bright color. The sweet potatoes soften to make the sauce thick and luscious. And the spices are delish. Adjust them to suit your taste buds :-) (This makes a huge amount; I usually half it.)
Top Review by ellie_
Very very spicy but think it needs something more to add more flavor -- not sure what (maybe some meat/tofu may help to make it more filling and add the extra something). Thanks for sharing Made for ZWT6.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 5 -6 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cardamom
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 -3 teaspoons fresh gingerroot, grated
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt (I use sea salt)
- 2 cups onions, chopped (can omit if you don't like) (optional)
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 cups sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups frozen green peas or 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- plain soy yogurt (optional) or dairy yogurt (optional)
- cashews (optional) or slivered almonds, lightly toasted (optional)
- raisins (optional)
- sliced banana (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Soften the onion, if using in a little water in a small pot. Set aside.
- In a separate, large pot, begin steaming the sweet potatoes. After about 5-10 minutes add the carrots; in 5 more minutes add the cauliflower. Steam for 5 minutes more. (They don't need to be cooked yet, just basically warmed.).
- Meanwhile, heat the oil over medium in a small frying pan;add the mustard seeds and saute till they begin to pop. Add the remaining spices and cook on LOW heat for a minute or two, be very careful not to burn them. Remove from heat.
- Remove the steamer basket from the veggies, add the softened onion and stir in the spice mixture. Add water.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- When sweet potatoes are tender but not totally cooked, add the tomatoes and peas/peppers (a combo works fine). Simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Serve over your favorite basmati rice, with the garnishes for a more Indian-style meal. Enjoy!