Cook2 hrs 30 mins
What a great dish for the cooler months ahead. Source: The Best of Jenny's Kitchen by Jennifer Raymond (June 1982.)
- 1 3⁄4 cups lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sliced celery
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 lb low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- Place all ingredients, except the cheese, in the crockpot, stir.
- Cook on high setting for 2-1/2 hours, or until the lentils are tender.
- Stir in the cheese until it is melted and serve.
This is a nice lentil recipe but found that the carrots cooked too much. Next time I will add the carrots near the end so that they will be alittle crunchy and not soft.
Originally made Nov.19 : I doubled the recipe for my 6L crockpot and brought this to a potluck dinner. 3L got eaten up and I had 3L left to freeze. Itz a good comfort food! Dec.5 : Thawed for dinner. Came out more like a soup, which was still good. I added grilled (cubed)chicken and parmesan cheese! yummy!
Great taste but slow is the operative word here ! I am just a novice using my slow cooker but mine needed up to 2 hours longer than stated in the recipe - maybe my high setting isn't high enough. Good result but just not in time for dinner. Certainly good for my learning curve !!