1/5 Photos of Wonderful Seafood Stew
Boneless fish fillets and whole shrimp simmer with garlic, herbs, and Cajun spices in a bayou blockbuster of a stew. Health experts recommend eating at least one meal per week that includes fish -- let it be this one.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces skinless fish fillets (fresh or frozen halibut, orange roughy, or sea bass)
- 6 ounces shrimp (fresh or frozen peeled and deveined)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet pepper (red or green)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can low-sodium tomatoes, undrained and cut up
- 1 (8 ounce) can low-sodium tomato sauce
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1Thaw fish and shrimp, if frozen.
- 2Rinse fish and shrimp; pat dry.
- 3Cut the fish into 1-inch pieces.
- 4Cover and chill fish pieces and shrimp until needed.
- 5In a large saucepan heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- 6Cook and stir onion, carrot, sweet pepper, and garlic in hot oil until tender.
- 7Stir in the undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, wine or chicken broth, bay leaves, dried thyme (if using), Cajun seasoning, cumin, and if desired, crushed red pepper.
- 8Bring the mixture to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- 9Gently stir in the fish pieces, shrimp, and fresh thyme (if using).
- 10Cover and simmer about 5 minutes more or until the fish flakes easily when tested with a fork and shrimp are opaque.
- 11Remove the bay leaves before serving.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wonderful Seafood Stew
Serving Size: 1 (411 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 199.4
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 84.7 mg
- Sodium 333.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 22.2 g