Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Boneless fish fillets and whole shrimp simmer with garlic, herbs, and Cajun spices in a bayou blockbuster of a stew. Health experts recommend eating at least one meal per week that includes fish -- let it be this one.
- 8 ounces skinless fish fillets (fresh or frozen halibut, orange roughy, or sea bass)
- 6 ounces shrimp (fresh or frozen peeled and deveined)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 cup chopped sweet pepper (red or green)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can low-sodium tomatoes, undrained and cut up
- 1 (8 ounce) can low-sodium tomato sauce
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine or 1⁄4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Thaw fish and shrimp, if frozen.
- Rinse fish and shrimp; pat dry.
- Cut the fish into 1-inch pieces.
- Cover and chill fish pieces and shrimp until needed.
- In a large saucepan heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Cook and stir onion, carrot, sweet pepper, and garlic in hot oil until tender.
- Stir in the undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, wine or chicken broth, bay leaves, dried thyme (if using), Cajun seasoning, cumin, and if desired, crushed red pepper.
- Bring the mixture to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Gently stir in the fish pieces, shrimp, and fresh thyme (if using).
- Cover and simmer about 5 minutes more or until the fish flakes easily when tested with a fork and shrimp are opaque.
- Remove the bay leaves before serving.
I made this tonight for myself and my 2 year old daughter. It was very good! Even my little girl ate it, which surprised me. The flavor is rich and hearty, however next time I will use a little less of the cajun seasoning. The heat level was just a little bit too much for the youngster. I used a filet each of mahi mahi and cod. I also added scallops along with the shrimp. I am definitely keeping this recipe. It's yummy.
This was a wonderful tasting Seafood Stew. Will make this again soon. Thanks for posting.
One of the best things I have ever made. I added celery, musles and scallops and subsitiuted paprika for the cajun spice. My friends and family couldn't believe that I was capable of making this. Everyone loved it!!!!