Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a wonderful pickled asparagus recipe. When this veggie is at a good price, I always make lots of it, and store away for the winter...great along side with just about any dish. Note cooking time is boiling time for the jars.
Top Review by Lynn 2574
I made this recipe for my first attempt at pickling asparagus, and brought the jars to a family reunion. It was a hit! Everyone loved and and wanted the recipe! I used a pickling spice that I put together following a recipe on this site.
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 4 lbs fresh asparagus
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded,and cut into thin strips
- 5 cups white wine vinegar
- 2 cups water (distilled bottled if possible)
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons pickling spices
- 2 teaspoons pickling salt or 2 teaspoons kosher salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Place several slices of onion in the bottom of two 1-quart jars.
- Trim the asparagus to fit in the jars; pack them in with the cut-end facing down.
- Place the pepper strips in between asparagus.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a saucepan, and boil over moderate heat for 10 minutes.
- Pour into the jars, leaving 1/2-inch head space.
- Seal the jars according to the manufacturer's directions; process for 20 minutes in boiling water bath.