Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a wonderful pickled asparagus recipe. When this veggie is at a good price, I always make lots of it, and store away for the winter...great along side with just about any dish. Note cooking time is boiling time for the jars.
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1814.36 g fresh asparagus
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded,and cut into thin strips
- 1182.95 ml white wine vinegar
- 473.18 ml water (distilled bottled if possible)
- 59.16 ml sugar
- 59.16 ml pickling spices
- 9.85 ml pickling salt or 9.85 ml kosher salt
- Place several slices of onion in the bottom of two 1-quart jars.
- Trim the asparagus to fit in the jars; pack them in with the cut-end facing down.
- Place the pepper strips in between asparagus.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a saucepan, and boil over moderate heat for 10 minutes.
- Pour into the jars, leaving 1/2-inch head space.
- Seal the jars according to the manufacturer's directions; process for 20 minutes in boiling water bath.
I made this recipe for my first attempt at pickling asparagus, and brought the jars to a family reunion. It was a hit! Everyone loved and and wanted the recipe! I used a pickling spice that I put together following a recipe on this site.
Awwwwsome. I have done pickled asparagus before and it was good. This is awsome. Thanks Kitten