1/2 Photos of Wonderful Homemade Kaiser Rolls!
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 25 mins
Delicious rolls! I made these today, the kneading process was a great outlet for life's daily stresses! :) Prep and cook times are approximate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Beat egg whites until stiff.
- 2Set aside.
- 3Combine yeast and warm water, and let sit about 5 minutes.
- 4Add shortening, sugar, salt and 3 cups of the flour.
- 5Beat with dough whisk or heavy spoon for 2 minutes.
- 6Fold egg whites into yeast mixture.
- 7Gradually add flour 1/4 cup at a time, until dough comes together and begins to pull away from bowl.
- 8Turn onto a floured surface.
- 9Knead, adding more flour as needed, for 8-10 minutes, until smooth and pliable w/ bubbles.
- 10Place in a lightly oiled bowl, turn to coat, and cover with damp towel.
- 11Let rise until double, about 1 hour.
- 12Punch down, cover and let rise again until double (about 45 minutes.) Punch down and turn out onto lightly oiled surface.
- 13Divide dough into 18 equal pieces.
- 14Use rolling pin to flatten each piece into a 7 inch circle.
- 15Fold left side to center to form a flap.
- 16Fold next side into center.
- 17Repeat all the way around 4 times to make overlapping flaps.
- 18Lift the first flap to ease the last flap underneath.
- 19Press center to seal the dough.
- 20Takes some work, but they look pretty when you get the technique down!
- 21Place rolls upside down on a well-greased baking sheet, 3 inches apart to help them keep their shape.
- 22Let rise 30 minutes, turn right side up, let rise 15 more minutes.
- 23Preheat oven to 425.
- 24Put a shallow pan on the bottom shelf of oven.
- 25Lightly brush the rolls with egg wash.
- 26Sprinkle with poppy or caraway seeds or coarse salt.
- 27Place 1 cup of ice cubes in the heated pan in oven.
- 28Immediately put the rolls in and bake 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown (internal temp will read 190).
- 29Remove and cool on racks.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wonderful Homemade Kaiser Rolls!
Serving Size: 1 (96 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 196.9
- Calories from Fat 19
- Total Fat 2.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 307.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 6.3 g