This is an inexpensive way to always have chocolate pudding on hand and it's tastes just as good as the boxed --- to avoid any chance of a scorched saucepan bottom this can easily be prepared in the microwave, for a lighter milk chocolate flavor use only 1 cup cocoa.
- 4 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups cornstarch
- 1 -1 1⁄3 cup baking cocoa (1 cup for light, 1-1/3 cups for a dark rich flavor)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk (I like using half and half as it has a more creamy taste) or 2 cups half-and-half (I like using half and half as it has a more creamy taste)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- FOR MIX: Sift together all ingredients.
- Store in airtight container or plastic bag.
- TO MAKE PUDDING: Combine 1 cup of dry mix with 2 cups milk in a very heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Bring to a med boil; stirring constantly (watch closely not to burn!).
- Stir in butter and vanilla.
- Divide into bowls.