Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is an inexpensive way to always have chocolate pudding on hand and it's tastes just as good as the boxed --- to avoid any chance of a scorched saucepan bottom this can easily be prepared in the microwave, for a lighter milk chocolate flavor use only 1 cup cocoa.
- 4 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups cornstarch
- 1 -1 1⁄3 cup baking cocoa (1 cup for light, 1-1/3 cups for a dark rich flavor)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk (I like using half and half as it has a more creamy taste) or 2 cups half-and-half (I like using half and half as it has a more creamy taste)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- FOR MIX: Sift together all ingredients.
- Store in airtight container or plastic bag.
- TO MAKE PUDDING: Combine 1 cup of dry mix with 2 cups milk in a very heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Bring to a med boil; stirring constantly (watch closely not to burn!).
- Stir in butter and vanilla.
- Divide into bowls.
I am on Weight Watchers, therefore, I substituted the same amount of Splenda for the sugar. DEEE-lish!! The butter is nice, but omitting it does not hurt the results. Mixed with Cool Whip, it is just like eating a slice of chocolate pie, minus the crust,of course!! Thanks for the great recipe!
Used Dark Cocoa instead of regular and 2c sucanat. Still was very sweet (but good). Next time will try with 1.5c sucanat. It was DELISH!! We made for our dinner during kids dance competition. Poured into 7 small baby food jars. Was a great way to end a long day. Homemade dark chocolate pudding cups, can't go wrong!
I did a test run with this pudding as I want to give this in my Christmas Gift Baskets this year. WOW Kitt! This is delicious! Thank you so much for this wonderful recipe I know I'll be making for years to come! Can't wait to start making baskets!