1/9 Photos of Wonderful Curried Sweet Potato Soup
This IS a WONDERFUL SOUP. And look at the list, just a few ingredients! I came up with lots of GREAT ideas for the contest, but when I asked my friends what they liked best, they always mentioned this humble soup! How funny is that? The rum really makes a difference. It is added at the very end, so if you have kids at the table and you're worried about it, just serve them first and add the rum later. You may want to leave it out altogether, but just let me tell you one more time that the RUM IS a LOVELY ADDITION. I use Patak's curry paste which is available in Asian stores where I live. Madras is labelled as a hot paste and Korma as mild. I've also tried a Patak's paste called HOT/TRES EPICE which I do NOT RECOMMEND.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon oil (I used sunflower oil)
- 1/2-3/4 cup chopped onion (1-2 onions)
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry paste (levelled tbsp, preferably Madras, Korma or another Indian or Caribbean curry paste you like)
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger (levelled tbsp)
- 4 cups peeled and cubed sweet potatoes (not yams)
- 1 red bell pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 3 1/2 cups chicken stock or 3 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons rum (optional but recommended, I use white rum)
- 2In a soup pot, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add curry paste and onions and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat if necessary. Add garlic clove and ginger and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- 3Add sweet potatoes and pepper. Mix. Add stock. Cook for 15 minutes or until vegetables are very soft.
- 4Puree the ingredients in batches in a blender or puree the whole amount directly in the pot with a hand blender (if pot is high enough).
- 5Check if you like the consistency of the soup. Add more stock or water if desired and adjust the seasonings (check if salt is needed). You can add more curry paste if desired, but most pastes need to be cooked first before adding to a dish. Add rum if using.
- 7Serve in individual bowls and top each with a tablespoon of sour cream and a sprinkle of sweet paprika.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wonderful Curried Sweet Potato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (279 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 283.8
- Calories from Fat 78
- Total Fat 8.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 12.5 mg
- Sodium 386.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 11.4 g
- Protein 8.4 g