Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
These cakes are packed with wonderful flavours... and oh so moist, they taste more like a fruitcake...also quite festive looking with the red cherries, but you don't have to just make these at holiday season, there great at any time. Note: this recipe makes two cakes, one for yourself, and one to give away, or two for yourself!
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup walnuts or 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, chopped and well drained
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease TWO 13" x 9" baking pans.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in extracts.
- Add in the flour; beat until blended.
- Fold in coconut, nuts and cherries.
- Divide evenly into two prepared baking pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until cakes test done.
- Cool on wire racks.