Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Maybe it's because I have my grandmother's cast iron skillet that makes this SO good! I Love cornbread and my fellow of 10 years LOVES this recipe. I got it off Allrecipes but have done a few changes.. Enjoy!
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1⁄4 lb unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Rub cast iron skillet with raw bacon.
- Melt butter in skillet over low heat.
- In large bowl add eggs and sugar, mix well.
- Add buttermilk, cream and baking soda; mix together.
- Add cornmeal, flour, and salt; mix well.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 30-40 minutes.
- Remove from pan and enjoy!
This is very good, but a bit "cake-like" in texture. We are used to a "grittier" texture. I cut the amount of sugar in half, since we like it less sweet. The buttermilk and cream give it a rich flavor. The melted butter gives it a nice bottom crust! Made for Fall 2008 PAC.
This sounds really good...but I noticed in the recipe you wrote heavy cream and in the directions and title you have listed buttermilk..both sound possible.