Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I recently made another banana bread recipe here on recipezaar that I thought was the best banana bread recipe ever (See Banana Banana Bread by Shelley Albeluhn). For dietary reasons, I needed to cut back on the sugar and fat. So, I thought I'd share my recipe since it turned out really well for me.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup wheat bran
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 6 tablespoons Splenda brown sugar blend
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 1⁄2 cups mashed bananas, very overripe (I used 4 medium bananas the first time)
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Lightly grease a 9 x 5 loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar.
- Stir the eggs, applesauce and mashed bananas into the butter mixture until well blended.
- Stir the banana mixture into flour mixture just to moisten.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 60-65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of loaf comes out clean.
- Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
I am writing this review as I am eating this wonderful bread. My daughter helped me make it, (she is 2) and is on her second piece!! I changed a couple things - I used all butter bc I did not have apple sauce and all flour bc I do not believe in wheat bran in y banana bread. The crust is so good and crunchy and the inside is a moist deliciousness I've never eaten before in a banana bread. I will never make a different recipe again. Bravo!! And thank you!!