Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
There are many different recipes for applesauce cake this one has remained a favorite, it's a really moist cake with tons of flavor, there is really no need for frosting just top with a couple of tablespoons of whipped cream or Cool Whip topping --- if you are using sweetened applesauce I suggest to maybe cut down the sugar slightly unless you prefer a sweeter cake --- I think you will really enjoy this cake!
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 cup Crisco shortening (butter or plain)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Set oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices.
- In a large bowl cream together the shortening and brown sugar and white sugar together until light and fluffy (about 3-4 minutes).
- Add in the eggs to the creamed mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Add in the dry ingredients alternately with the applesauce and water.
- Stir in raisins and nuts.
- Pour into prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until cake tests done.
- Cool, dust with confectioners' sugar or serve topped with whipped cream.
Excellant cake. Very good made in muffin pan. Thanks
Excellent! Very tasty and moist. My husband can't stay away.
This is the best cake I've ever eaten! I've made it twice in a week and suspect I am addicted to it. I thought chocolate cake was my favorite, but not anymore. Thanks so much for this recipe:)