There are many different recipes for applesauce cake this one has remained a favorite, it's a really moist cake with tons of flavor, there is really no need for frosting just top with a couple of tablespoons of whipped cream or Cool Whip topping --- if you are using sweetened applesauce I suggest to maybe cut down the sugar slightly unless you prefer a sweeter cake --- I think you will really enjoy this cake!
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 cup Crisco shortening (butter or plain)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Set oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices.
- In a large bowl cream together the shortening and brown sugar and white sugar together until light and fluffy (about 3-4 minutes).
- Add in the eggs to the creamed mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Add in the dry ingredients alternately with the applesauce and water.
- Stir in raisins and nuts.
- Pour into prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until cake tests done.
- Cool, dust with confectioners' sugar or serve topped with whipped cream.