Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This lasagna recipe was one that we tried during The holidays about 3 years ago, and it was so delicious and easy to prepare, that we have it often. You have to try it before you crinkle your nose. Trust me. It's "wonder" full!
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups of shredded cooked chicken (you can use a rotisserie chicken or chicken in the can to save time)
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 large tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh dill (or 1/2 tsp dry dill)
- 1 cup of chopped green olives
- 1 loaf of your favorite white bread (all the crusts removed)
- 1 (18 ounce) jar mayonnaise
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Make your gravy by combining milk, flour, chicken stock and pepper and simmering on stovetop until thick and bubbly.
- In a pan on the stovetop, fry the onions & tomatoes in a drop or two of oil and lightly simmer for about 7 or 8 minutes.
- Add the cumin, black pepper, and cinnamon, as well as the chicken and chopped olives and the dill to the stovetop mixture.
- Set mixture aside to cool slightly.
- Remove the crusts from the entire loaf of white bread.
- Spread each piece with mayonnaise,liberally.
- Lay the first layer of bread face down (so mayo is touching glass) in a glass baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Spread mayonaise on top of that first layer of bread and spread chicken mixture ontop of that.
- Put another layer of bread, mayo face down on the chicken mixture.
- Spread mayonnaise on top of that layer of bread.
- Pour the flour gravy over top and spread out to evenly cover the entire casserole.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the casserole is browned and bubbly.
When I read this recipe I thought how very strange but was willing to try it and quite frankly it was good. Although I liked the olives in this recipe my husband did not. I will probably tweak the seasonings to suit our tastes but will definitely try it again. Thank you!