Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Tangy lemon bars -- made with a touch of cream cheese for extra richness -- have just a fraction of the fat of the original.
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Line 8" square baking pan with enough foil to overhand sides by 2"; coat foil with non-stick cooking spray.
- On med-high speed, beat 1/2 cup powdered sugar, cream cheese and butter until blended. Add flour and salt; beat on low speed until dough just forms. Press dough into bottom and 1/2" up sides of pan; prick with fork. Bake 20-25 minutes or until just golden.
- Meanwhile, in bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, lemon juice, baking powder and remaining 1 cup powdered sugar until combined. Stir in lemon zest. Pour over warm crust.
- Bake 25 minutes or until filling is set.
- Cool completely in pan on rack.
- Cover; refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour. Using foil to help, lift from pan. Cut into 16 bars. If desired, sprinkle with additional powdered sugar.