Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A quick and easy Belgium recipe from European Cuisines. Simple is good!
- 1 small cabbage
- 236.59 ml heavy whipping cream
- fresh ground black pepper
- freshly ground nutmeg
- 59.16 ml butter
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
- veggie bacon bits, to taste (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400*F(200C).
- Generously butter a 2-quart casserole or large baking dish.
- Pull off the outer leaves of the cabbage. Halve it and cut out the core. With a sharp knife or the shredding disc of a food processor, shred the cabbage thinly.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. When it comes to a rolling boil, put in the shredded cabbage. Stir a few times until the water returns to a boil. Allow to boil for three minutes. Remove immediately and drain well.
- Turn into the buttered casserole dish. Pour the cream over. Grate over the nutmeg: grind over the pepper: add a pinch of red pepper flakes and bacon bits, if using. Dot with the butter.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or a little longer (if the cabbage has not absorbed most of the cream by then).
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!
- Serves 6, or 3 or 4 cabbage fans.
We love cabbage so we're really happy to find another fast, easy, delicious way to prepare it! I would blanch the cabbage even less next time (maybe not at all?) because i thought it was too soft in the end - i like it still a bit firm/crunchy. And I'd add a bit more salt to the dish before baking. A wonderful recipe - thank you! Made for Aussie swap 7/11.