A quick and easy Belgium recipe from European Cuisines. Simple is good!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 400*F(200C).
- 2Generously butter a 2-quart casserole or large baking dish.
- 3Pull off the outer leaves of the cabbage. Halve it and cut out the core. With a sharp knife or the shredding disc of a food processor, shred the cabbage thinly.
- 4Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. When it comes to a rolling boil, put in the shredded cabbage. Stir a few times until the water returns to a boil. Allow to boil for three minutes. Remove immediately and drain well.
- 5Turn into the buttered casserole dish. Pour the cream over. Grate over the nutmeg: grind over the pepper: add a pinch of red pepper flakes and bacon bits, if using. Dot with the butter.
- 6Bake for 15 minutes, or a little longer (if the cabbage has not absorbed most of the cream by then).
- 7Serve immediately. Enjoy!
- 8Serves 6, or 3 or 4 cabbage fans.
Browse Our Top Greens Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Witte Kool in Roomsaus (Shredded Cabbage in Cream Sauce)
Serving Size: 1 (169 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 234.4
- Calories from Fat 202
- Total Fat 22.4 g
- Saturated Fat 14.0 g
- Cholesterol 74.7 mg
- Sodium 104.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 2.4 g