Recipe by Lennie
According to the Canadian Living Test Kitchen, this is their most requested Hallowe'en recipe. I haven't made them, but think I will this year. Sounds ghoulishly good!
Top Review by beth
Made these last night for tonight-Halloween! They are great. They look nice and creepy and actually are right tastey. They were simple to make. I did add a little more flour, maybe a 1/4 cup and baked them for about 20 minutes till slightly brown on the bottom. This will most likely be a Halloween tradition in our house. They were spooktacular!!!!!(maniacal laugh)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup icing sugar (sift through a sieve after measuring to remove lumps)
- 1 large egg (room temp)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup whole blanched almond (you need about 60)
- red decorating gel, as needed
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter sugar, egg and extracts together.
- In another mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Beat dry ingredients into butter mixture, then cover bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F; have cookie sheets, lined with parchment paper, ready.
- Remove only 1/4 of the dough from refrigerator (leave rest refrigerated to stay cold); measure out heaping teaspoonfuls and shape into fingers.
- Press an almond firmly into the end of each"finger" to make the fingernail.
- Below the almond and at the opposite end of the finger, press in dough to create knuckle halfway down; using the back of a table knife, make indents into the knuckle (look at your own fingers to get an idea of what this should look like).
- If you want really big ugly fingers with two gnarled knuckles, use about a tbsp of dough per cookie.
- Place on paper-lined cookie sheets and bake in preheated oven until a pale golden colour--about 20 to 25 minutes.
- After first sheet goes into the oven, remove more dough from the fridge to make more fingers.
- When cookies are done, remove from oven and let cool for three minutes.
- Carefully lift up almond from each finger and squeeze some red decorating gel onto nail bed, then press almond back into place; the red gel will creepily ooze out.
- Transfer to a rack and let cool completely.