1/14 Photos of Witchy-Poo Fingers
According to the Canadian Living Test Kitchen, this is their most requested Hallowe'en recipe. I haven't made them, but think I will this year. Sounds ghoulishly good!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup icing sugar (sift through a sieve after measuring to remove lumps)
- 1 large egg (room temp)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup whole blanched almond (you need about 60)
- red decorating gel, as needed
- 1In a mixing bowl, beat butter sugar, egg and extracts together.
- 2In another mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- 3Beat dry ingredients into butter mixture, then cover bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 4Preheat oven to 325 degrees F; have cookie sheets, lined with parchment paper, ready.
- 5Remove only 1/4 of the dough from refrigerator (leave rest refrigerated to stay cold); measure out heaping teaspoonfuls and shape into fingers.
- 6Press an almond firmly into the end of each"finger" to make the fingernail.
- 7Below the almond and at the opposite end of the finger, press in dough to create knuckle halfway down; using the back of a table knife, make indents into the knuckle (look at your own fingers to get an idea of what this should look like).
- 8If you want really big ugly fingers with two gnarled knuckles, use about a tbsp of dough per cookie.
- 9Place on paper-lined cookie sheets and bake in preheated oven until a pale golden colour--about 20 to 25 minutes.
- 10After first sheet goes into the oven, remove more dough from the fridge to make more fingers.
- 11When cookies are done, remove from oven and let cool for three minutes.
- 12Carefully lift up almond from each finger and squeeze some red decorating gel onto nail bed, then press almond back into place; the red gel will creepily ooze out.
- 13Transfer to a rack and let cool completely.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Witchy-Poo Fingers
Serving Size: 1 (806 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 64.3
- Calories from Fat 37
- Total Fat 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 11.2 mg
- Sodium 46.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 1.0 g