Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Southern Living OCTOBER 2001
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 4 skinned and boneless chicken breast halves, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granule
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3 (16 ounce) cans great northern beans, rinsed, drained, and divided
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, sliced green onions, cooked and crumbled bacon
- Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add chicken and next 3 ingredients, and saute 10 minutes. Stir in broth and next 3 ingredients.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes. Stir in 2 cans of beans and chiles.
- Mash remaining can of beans in a small bowl. Whisk together flour and milk, and stir into beans. Gradually add bean mixture to soup mixture, stirring constantly. Cook 10 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat, and stir in cilantro. Serve with desired toppings.