Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This family favorite is a mix of recipes from my mom and my chef brother and easy to prepare! It makes a tasty main if served with a salad and crusty bread. The kids love it for lunch!! My brother finally convinced me that fresh herbs and chicken stock are better so if possible, use them!
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped celery & leaves
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped scallion (green part only)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bells poultry seasoning
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 lb uncooked fine egg noodles or 1⁄2 lb angel hair pasta
- 4 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth, if using stock use 2 qts (or enough to cover chicken)
- white pepper
- 1 dash rosemary (optional)
- 1 chicken bouillon cube (we like it a little salty, don't tell my brother!)
- Simmer chicken in stock (or broth) and bouillon in covered stockpot until tender - about 25 minutes.
- While chicken is simmering chop celery, carrots, onion, garlic and parsley. Set vegetables aside in a bowl - keep parsley separate.
- Remove chicken from stock; cool enough to handle.
- Slice or chop meat(slicing into thin stips, then cutting into bite-sized pieces looks very appetizing).
- Skim most of the fat from the broth.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add vegetables, poultry seasoning, spices and chicken and simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- Add parsley, rosemary and noodles; simmer, uncovered for 6-7 minutes or until noodles and just tender.