Recipe by Chef Shadows
SOURCE SHADOWS WIFE - REVISED FROM THE OUTDOOR DUTCH OVEN COOK. Category: DUTCHOVEN . One of our camp favorites.
Top Review by Lightly Toasted
Excellent! Very similar to goulash, with the exception of the bacon and beans. We followed the recipe exactly, The only change I'd make next time (and there will definitely be a ext time) is that I would start cooking the bacon AHEAD of the hamburger. Cooking them together mean that the bacon wasn't quite as DONE as some of the fussier family members would like, lol. It smelled wonderful as it was being cooked, and several people stopped by the fire to ask what was cooking. Also ommitted the canned mushrooms.
- 1 lb bacon, uncooked, chopped
- 1 lb lean hamburger
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 28 ounces canned tomatoes with juice
- 2 (15 ounce) cans dark red kidney beans
- 2 cups egg noodles, uncooked
- 1 (10 ounce) can mushrooms
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 -2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown bacon, garlic and hamburger in dutch oven or large skillet, drain fat if needed.
- Add celery, onion, tomatoes, mushrooms, beans, and noodles.
- Add seasonings, stir.
- Bake 45 minutes in Dutch oven (moderate heat), or 1 hour in 350f conventional oven.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.