Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I think this could be kept warm in a crockpot or even make the whole brew in a crockpot. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (October 1987)
- In a heavy saucepan stir water and sugar together.
- Stir in ginger, cloves, cinnamon and allspice and bring mixture to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Strain syrup and return to pan (or put in crockpot) and add cider, orange and lemon juice and then bring mixture to a simmer (or put crockpot on low for a few hours).
- Stir in rum or bourbon if desired.
This is the best spiced appled cider drink I've ever had. The spicy combination of ingredients in this beverage is fabulous. I made it exactly as written and it was perfect, so I would not make any changes when making this again in the future. It would be perfect for a Halloween party because it's something both kids and adults can enjoy. Thanks for sharing your recipe, ellie.
This was so tasty! We used spiced rum as the liquor. Very warm and soothing on a cold day. Thanks for sharing!
Cozy and warm all inside and out! Grab a mug of this when you take the kids Trick or Treating! I skipped the sugar placed everything in a crockpot and let it do it`s Magic for a couple hours. Enjoyed it straight! But I just know rum would be great in this. Thanks for the warmth!