Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Witbrood recipe comes from a Flemish Baking Bread book. I have tried many recipes and I think the difference for making it dense and chewy is that there are no eggs and no real milk products and very little sugar.
- Mix yeast, 1 tsp sugar and 1/4 cup warm water.
- Cover with plastic and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Sift 4 cups flour, salt, powdered milk and sugar in a big bowl.
- Make a well in the middle and pour in the yeast, the veg oil and the 1 cup warm water.
- With the hand or a big spoon make this into a soft dough.
- Lay this out on a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes until its smooth and elastic.
- You can use up to 1/2 cup extra flour so its not sticky.
- Put dough in a lightly greased bowl.
- Cover and let rise.
- Punch down dough and knead for 1 minute.
- Divide in portions.
- It will make one large round loaf, 2 medium size round loaves, 3 small loaves or 16-24 ball sized breads (bolletjes) Let rise about 45 minutes.
- Bake on a greased sheet, or in greased or buttered bread pans 10 minutes on 375°F (190°C) then set oven lower to 350°F (180°C) for 30-40 minutes if in a bake pan.
- If on a flat sheet 10 minutes on 375°F (190°C) then set to lower temperature to 350°F (180°C) for 20-30 minutes.
- Bread will be done if it sounds hollow when rapped in the middle on the underside of the round loaves.