Recipe by KGCOOK
Looking for something different one day I came across this recipe. It's from a recipe book called "Cooking with Beer". Using a "Bock" beer will enhance the savory sausage flavor of this soup.
Top Review by mary winecoff
Even my child who swears he doesn't like soup loved this! Very easy to do and I had all the ingredients in my pantry. Of course I didn't waste the beer but finished the bottle. Thank you so much for posting this!
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated (large)
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup beer
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 bay leaf
- 7 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 ounces swiss cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 lb smoked sausage (I use Hillshire Farm)
- 1 -2 cup frozen corn (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion, carrot, and garlic and saute unitl softened.
- Add flour, cook 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add chicken broth, milk, beer, Worcestershire, salt, mustard, and bay leaf.
- Reduce heat to low and cook until soup has thickened, whisking often.
- Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Slowly whisk both cheeses into soups until combined and smooth.
- Cut sausage lengthwise into quarters, then slice into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Saute sausage in a small skillet over medium-high heat until heated through.
- Blot excess fat from sausage with paper towels.
- Add sausage to soup and stir.
- Serve hot with crackers or crusty bread.