1/2 Photos of Wisconsin Sausage Soup
Looking for something different one day I came across this recipe. It's from a recipe book called "Cooking with Beer". Using a "Bock" beer will enhance the savory sausage flavor of this soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated (large)
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup beer
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 bay leaf
- 7 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 ounces swiss cheese, shredded
- 1/2 lb smoked sausage (I use Hillshire Farm)
- 1 -2 cup frozen corn (optional)
- 1Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat.
- 2Add onion, carrot, and garlic and saute unitl softened.
- 3Add flour, cook 5 minutes, stirring often.
- 4Add chicken broth, milk, beer, Worcestershire, salt, mustard, and bay leaf.
- 5Reduce heat to low and cook until soup has thickened, whisking often.
- 6Remove and discard bay leaf.
- 7Slowly whisk both cheeses into soups until combined and smooth.
- 8Cut sausage lengthwise into quarters, then slice into 1/2 inch pieces.
- 9Saute sausage in a small skillet over medium-high heat until heated through.
- 10Blot excess fat from sausage with paper towels.
- 11Add sausage to soup and stir.
- 12Serve hot with crackers or crusty bread.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wisconsin Sausage Soup
Serving Size: 1 (225 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 478.7
- Calories from Fat 310
- Total Fat 34.5 g
- Saturated Fat 19.1 g
- Cholesterol 94.2 mg
- Sodium 917.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 20.6 g