Recipe by Member #610488
This recipe is a favorite of Andrew Zimmern, host of the TV show Bizarre Foods.
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs from artisan bread
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 lb uncooked macaroni
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 12 ounces aged cheddar cheese, grated (Wisconsin Carr Valley 3-year-aged cheddar or similar from your area)
Directions See How It's Made
- Toss the breadcrumbs in with the melted butter. Reserve.
- Cook the macaroni to al dente, drain well, place back into the saucepan it was cooked in, and toss in the 4 tbsp of butter.
- Combine the eggs, 3/4 of the milk, 3/4 of the cheese, Tabasco, salt, pepper and mustard.
- Stirring the macaroni and butter over medium heat, add the egg mixture and stir until cheese melts and sauce begins to thicken.
- Add the remaining milk and keep stirring until sauce is bubbling and hot.
- Pour immediately into a greased baking dish.
- Sprinkle with the cheese that remains and the bread crumbs.
- Place under a broiler. Be sure to place 6-7 inches away so you don't burn your top, broil to crisp, and serve.