Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Great way to use up that last chunk of bread, and some veggies (toss in whatever veggies you have) - just make sure you have nice quality cheese.
- 1 -2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups day-old French bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 1⁄2 cup diced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup tiny cauliflower floret
- 1⁄2 cup thin-sliced green beans
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- sharp cheddar cheese, grated (3 cups)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Prepare the croutons, melting butter in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-low heat.
- Stir in the bread cubes, tossing them to coat with the butter.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake the croutons for 12- 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and crisp.
- (These can be made ahead and kept in a zip bag) Prepare the soup, melting the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in the onion, saute until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the flour, stirring to combine, and cook an additional couple of minutes.
- Whisk in the wine, followed by the stock, and add the bay leaf, salt, and pepper.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, then stir in the carrots, cauliflower, and green beans, and cook just until the vegetables are tender, 8- 10 additional minutes.
- Pour in the cream and then mix in the cheese until melted and heated through.
- Remove from the heat immediately and ladle into bowls.
- Scatter the croutons equally over the bowls and serve.
this was a wonderful lunch for a snowy day. i added 2 tbsp of worcestershire sauce, an extra cup of chicken broth, and extra cheese. i omitted the cauliflower and green beans, kids, but added a large baking potato, diced. this made a thick and hearty soup
This was very tasty. I substituted broccoli for the green beans. I highly recommend this!