Recipe by weekend cooker
a tasty soup anytime of the year.
Top Review by cakers624
This was very delicious! I tried not to change anything, but of course I had to throw my own little flavor in. First I added a couple of cloves of garlic- minced. I also added 1 more TBS of butter. Kept the flour and baking powder the same but added 1 more cup of milk and another can of chicken broth. When I was making this it didnt look like it was going to feed my entire family. I also used a bag of sharp cheddar and about 1/2 a bag of jack and colby cheese. I also added smoked sausage to it. Very good thanks for the recipe! I will definately be making this again. It was the best cheese soup I have ever tasted!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, diced
- 1⁄4 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups milk
- chopped parsley (optional)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (8 ounce) packagecold pack wisconsin sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan melt butter.
- Add onion, carrots, and celery, cook until tender.
- Stir in flour, cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until bubbly.
- Stir in baking soda.
- Gradually stir in milk, and broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, stirring until mixture thickens slightly, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add cheese, and red pepper, stirring until melted and well blended.
- Garnish with parsley.