Prep 3 hrs
Cook 45 mins
This can easily be halved if you only want to bake 1 loaf.
- 2 envelopes active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water (110°F)
- 8 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup minced jalapeno pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- 2 cups milk
- 4 large eggs
- In a small bowl, stir yeast, sugar, and warm water.
- Let stand for 5 minutes until foamy.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine 8 cups flour, cheddar cheese, jalapeno pepper, salt and Tabasco.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, warm the milk until it is 120°F to 130°F.
- Stir milk into flour mixture.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat eggs.
- Set aside 1 tablespoon of the beaten egg to brush on dough later.
- Add remaining eggs to flour mixture; stir until it makes a soft dough.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic, kneading in the remaining 3/4 cup flour.
- Shape the dough into a ball and place in a large, greased bowl, turning dough over to grease the top.
- Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Grease two large cookie sheets.
- Punch down dough and divide it in half.
- Shape each half of dough into a ball and palce the balls on the cookie sheets.
- Cover with towels and let rise in a warm place until doubledd, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Brush the loaves with the reserved beaten egg.
- Bake loaves about 45 minutes or until they sound hollow when lightly tapped.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.
This is just about my favorite bread of all time and have been making it for years. I use pickled jalapenos as well as fresh ones, if I have them, but generally use about a 1 cup and skip the Tabasco. I also bake in loaf pans. It makes excellent toast and the yummiest grilled ham and cheese sandwiches you'll ever eat. For my preference, the extra sharp cheese is a must.
This jalapeno cheddar bread was excellent and very easy to make. This will definately be one that I will make all the time. I give this five stars and two thumbs up!!! ...CH
Great flavor in this bread. I reduced the recipe in half & used this in my bread machine. I need to work on the ratio as it was too much and rose over the top when baking and I have the largest size. I will more than likely just use the dough cycle next time and bake in the oven. I also subbed cayenne for the tabasco (1/4 t.) and used a mixture of red and green jalapenos for color. The bread has a wonderful cheesy and not overwhelmingly hot flavor. I was very happy with the results.