Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Found this recipe in the local newspaper. It is excellent and a little different than any other beer cheese soup recipe I have ever tried. The beer flavor is not overwhelming - It is just a good combination of flavors!
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat
- 1⁄2 white onion, chopped
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 teaspoon pure chile powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 cup beer
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 small poblano chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded and diced
- 5 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- Heat bacon fat in large sauce or soup pan over medium heat.
- Add onion, shallots, garlic and chili powder. Saute two minutes or until soft.
- Add Parsley, cumin powder, beer and bring to a boil.
- Boil five minutes or until liquid has reduced by half.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- In a separate sauce pan, melt butter and add flour. Cook while stirring for a few minutes. Gradually add some of the boiling soup mixture into the flour/butter mixture, stirring well before adding more. When you have mixed in enough of the soup mixture to make the the flour mixture a little runnier, add it all back into the big pot of soup.
- Lower heat and simmer, uncovered, about 40 minutes.
- Remove soup from the heat and blend with hand blender, or pour into blender by batches and blend until smooth.
- Add cheese and chilies. Season with salt and lime juice.
- Serve immediately.
Excellent soup! Definately not the thick kind with the cream and calories, but exactly what we were looking for. My wife and I made this after several days of heavy Holiday meals and enjoyed it with french bread with roasted garlic butter. The flavors were perfect. Thank you for sharing a great variation of the thicker beer cheese soup without compromising flavor.
The ingredients in this set me up for outstanding flavor. While the falvor was there the soup didn't have the thickness I was hoping for.