Recipe by Chef Annie Z
Found this recipe in the local newspaper. It is excellent and a little different than any other beer cheese soup recipe I have ever tried. The beer flavor is not overwhelming - It is just a good combination of flavors!
Top Review by dadwholovestocook
Excellent soup! Definately not the thick kind with the cream and calories, but exactly what we were looking for. My wife and I made this after several days of heavy Holiday meals and enjoyed it with french bread with roasted garlic butter. The flavors were perfect. Thank you for sharing a great variation of the thicker beer cheese soup without compromising flavor.
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat
- 1⁄2 white onion, chopped
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 teaspoon pure chile powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 cup beer
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 small poblano chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded and diced
- 5 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat bacon fat in large sauce or soup pan over medium heat.
- Add onion, shallots, garlic and chili powder. Saute two minutes or until soft.
- Add Parsley, cumin powder, beer and bring to a boil.
- Boil five minutes or until liquid has reduced by half.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- In a separate sauce pan, melt butter and add flour. Cook while stirring for a few minutes. Gradually add some of the boiling soup mixture into the flour/butter mixture, stirring well before adding more. When you have mixed in enough of the soup mixture to make the the flour mixture a little runnier, add it all back into the big pot of soup.
- Lower heat and simmer, uncovered, about 40 minutes.
- Remove soup from the heat and blend with hand blender, or pour into blender by batches and blend until smooth.
- Add cheese and chilies. Season with salt and lime juice.
- Serve immediately.