Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is terrific. It was easy and fast and full of flavor. Next time I'll add some cayenne pepper. I used a little whipping cream with evaporated milk, but the author used skim milk. Recipe adapted from The Coterie Blog, as seen on Bake 'n Make.
- In a large Dutch oven or sauce pot over medium heat, melt the butter and cook until lightly browned, about 4 to 5 minutes. Watch the butter carefully so you don't burn it.
- Add the onion and cook until the onion is softened and translucent, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir constantly, until the flour is light golden in color, about 3 to 4 minutes or so.
- Slowly add the milk, stirring continuously.
- Add the chopped cauliflower and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and let simmer until the cauliflower is softened, about 10 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until the cauliflower is completely pureed. You can use an electric blender in batches if you don't have an immersion blender, but be careful not to burn yourself.
- Once completely blended, add the mustard and the cheese and stir until the cheese is completely melted.
- Serve immediately and garnish with roasted cauliflower, additional cheese, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.