- 2 teaspoons butter
- 3 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) packagechopped frozen broccoli, thawed, drained
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese or 6 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 teaspoons chopped chives or 2 teaspoons chopped green onion tops
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add flour; cook and stir 30 seconds or until bubbly.
- Add milk, salt, mustard, and cayenne pepper; bring to a simmer over high heat, stirring frequently.
- Add broccoli and red pepper; return to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer uncovered 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cheese; stir over low heat just until cheese melts (do not boil).
- Ladle into four soup bowls; top with chives.