Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 3 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) packagechopped frozen broccoli, thawed, drained
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese or 6 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 teaspoons chopped chives or 2 teaspoons chopped green onion tops
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add flour; cook and stir 30 seconds or until bubbly.
- Add milk, salt, mustard, and cayenne pepper; bring to a simmer over high heat, stirring frequently.
- Add broccoli and red pepper; return to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer uncovered 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cheese; stir over low heat just until cheese melts (do not boil).
- Ladle into four soup bowls; top with chives.
Outstanding! I was searching for a "cozy" soup and this was it. Thanx for sharing such a great soup.
I made this according to the directions, but after a bowlful, I agree with Savvy Selwal. This soup needs about 1/4 to 1/2 C of finely chopped onion. Otherwise, this is a very satisfying soup. Thanks for sharing!
My bf LOVED this soup and he hates broccoli. I can't tell you how many times he told me how good it was while he was eating it. I did add a little to it. Sauteed about 1/2 cup of diced onion before adding the flour. Used cayenne, garlic powder, and hot paprika. Added a small can of hot green chilis and used Cabot's seriously sharp white cheddar (about 4 oz), 4 oz of reg sharp cheddar and about 6 oz of Velveeta. As well as added a chicken bullion cube. Will definitely make again.