Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This soup is great at anytime of the year.
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 (32 ounce) package Velveeta cheese, cut into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups cream
- 1⁄2 cup beer
- Cook carrots, onions, and celery in butter until tender.
- Stir in flour and chicken broth until thick and bubbly.
- Stir in cream and beer.
- Add cheese a little at a time.
- *When adding the flour, I like to mix it in with a wire whisk to avoid getting lumps.
- When adding the cheese, be sure to keep stirring the soup so it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot, I add about 1/2 to 3/4 of the block, but you can add as much or less to fit your taste.
This soup is so full of flavor and can go along with any meal. I tell my friends about it and I've already made it for my family, who say they love it! It took some time to make but it was very easy. I added a little extra onion for my taste. Coming from Wisconsin I'd have to say that this is the best beer cheese soup I've ever had.
This was a great soup and exactly the taste I was looking for! I did make some modifications for personal taste. 1. I left out the cream and added additional broth to make up for it. 2. I added cubed red potatoes after the broth and beer were added and let it cook for an additional 20 min. 3. I used an entire bottle of Amber beer-- not too strong but it still has great flavor 4. I baked bacon in the oven (much less messy) on a foil lined cookie sheet at 400 for 15-20 min, then I sliced it and added it at the last minute. 5. I only used a 16 oz block of Velveeta 6. I garnished with sharp cheddar cheese and served with sea salt bread
Yummy soup. I used both Velveeta and cheddar cheese.