Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I love beer cheese soup, and this is one of my fave's. Great in a bread bowl or with fresh baked beer cheese muffins. Perfect for cold & snowy days.
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 clove garlic (pressed)
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 dash white pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 3 -5 diced baked potatoes (I prefer red with skins on)
- 1 cup beer
- 1 lb shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups popped popcorn
- Spoon flour into measuring cup& level off.
- Melt butter in large saucepan, and add flour.
- Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly until smooth and bubbly.
- Add garlic, onion, Worcestershire sauce, salt, mustard and pepper; blend well.
- Gradually stir in chicken broth, half-and-half and beer; cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Add cheese; stir until melted.
- Add potatoes and heat gently, stirring often, but do not allow to boil.
- Top with popcorn.
I never thought of putting popcorn on top of a soup. It was good. Personally, I would double or triple the garlic, mustard and Worcestershire. I will also reduce the chicken brother and just add the whole beer. Quality cheese and quality beer really make this soup.<br/>The next morning I heated some in the center of a plate and slid a sunny side up egg on top. It was great!
We enjoyed this soup for dinner the other night. It was easy to make and I liked the taste of the beer and didn't feel it was too overpowering. I made as posted and will be making again. Thank you for posting!!!
My Hubby & Father really liked it, I didn't care for it too much.. I don't drink, & I felt I could really taste the beer in this.. Which I am sure is the point.. lol Although I did add ham to it, which we all liked. Thanks for the recipe!