Recipe by LilPinkieJ
Cheese Puffs from Wisconsin, how great is that? Pepato is a semi-hard sheep's milk cheese with peppercorns. Pepato is a pepper Asiago cheese that you can find in cheese shops or specialty Italian stores. Variation: For lighter puffs, use 2 whole eggs and 4 egg whites instead of 4 eggs.
Top Review by SweetPeaNC
These are excellent! I bought some local raw milk asiago and didn't know what to do with it, so I decided to try this recipe. I couldn't find pepato cheese, so I used 1 c asiago and 1/2 c parmesan. I also added some cracked pepper. They puffed beautifully, and the inside was nice and cheesy. We served with homemade pesto over pasta and a salad. We'll make these again for sure. Thanks for sharing.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup flour
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup asiago cheese, finely shredded
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup pecorino pepato cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F In a small saucepan, combine butter, oil, salt, cayenne pepper and water; bring to a boil. Add flour all at once; stir until mixture forms a smooth ball.
- Cook over low heat, until mixture is drier, but still smooth; place in mixing bowl. Beat in eggs, one at a time; stir in cheeses.
- Drop tablespoonfuls of batter onto greased cookie sheets. Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned and firm. Serve immediately.